3/5/13

VEGETABLE CHOWDER


I came up with this vegetable soup recipe last week while trying to make a slightly healthier version of this recipe- cheesy-vegetable-chowder .I love the original recipe it is so yummy ,but i wanted something healthier and with more vegetables in it.

IMG_2499-4.jpg
IMG_2503-4.jpg

Ingredients:
2 Tablespoons butter ( you could use olive oil for an even healthier version)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped carrot
2 celery sticks, chopped 
1 small zucchini
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
4 cups chicken broth
2 medium potatoes chopped
Kosher salt
Pepper
1 Tablespoon flour
1/2 cup water
2/3 cup milk (It tastes just as good with out the milk as well, so this can also be left out but if you want it to be more of a "chowder" than you will need the milk)
2 cups chopped broccoli
1 corn on the cob, removed from the cob 

Melt the butter in a large soup pot.  Add onions, carrots, zucchini and celery and sauté over medium heat until tender.  Add the garlic and cook 1 - 2 additional minutes. Season vegetables with salt and pepper. Add chicken broth and potatoes, bring to a boil, than reduce the heat to simmer and cook until potatoes are tender.  Next in a small bowl, mix the flour with water, add to the pot and simmer until soup is slightly thickened.  Next add corn, broccoli and milk and cook until broccoli is tender. 

If you wanted to add some shredded cheese on top you can, it still makes for a healthier soup by adding a small amount to your bowl rather than the 2 cups of cheese the original recipe calls for. Of course my husband added some, cause it certainly tastes good with the cheese !
IMG_2511-5.jpg

enjoy!

19 comments:

  1. This chowder looks delicious! Especially with all of the cold weather that continues to linger in this part of the country. We will have to try this one out! Have a wonderful week! Xo, M&K at BT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I Hope you enjoy it! It's perfect for cold weather!
      Xo

      Delete
    2. Just emailed you a link for adding tabs! Hope it helps. :)

      Delete
  2. This looks absolutely scrumptious!! Can't wait to make it!
    xo TJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks amazing..especially with the cheese on top! thanks for healthifying it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm that looks deelish! I needed something to make tonight I think I'll give it a go, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by our blog and for the sweet comment! :) This looks so yummy! I'm a vegetarian so it's right up my alley! I'll have to give it a try! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! This looks delish, I'll have to try it out :)

    xoxo Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy! This looks wonderful especially on a cold rainy day like today! I will definitely be trying this one out for sure. Possibly today! ha! ha!

    Thanks for sharing!

    I also thought I would stay a while, I am your newest follower.

    Christy
    monkeysandtwinklestars.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following along! Let me know what you think!

      xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to read all your comments!