1/9/13

FAMILY RECIPE - HOMEMADE CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP

IMG_1694.JPG

I have been eating this soup for as long as i can remember, growing up i couldn't wait for fall and winter to roll around so my mom would make some of her delicious soup! She got this recipe from my grand mom who use to use the left over turkey caracas from thanksgiving!
Well now i don't wait for fall or winter it is so good i make it year around, At least two times a month and we never get sick of it! Tho there is no better time to eat it than on a cold winter day!

IMG_1684-1.jpg

1 onion quartered
10-15 baby carrots
3 stalks celery cut in half
2 teaspoons oregano
2 teaspoons parsley
Salt & Pepper to taste
2 bay leaves
1 rotisserie chicken ( I buy mine from costco, they are a good size so I'll use some meat for a meal first and than use the remaining for the soup)
2 chicken bouillon cubes
Egg noodles (or any noodles of choice)

Put carcas in pan and fill the pan with water until carcas is covered.
Add carrots, onion, celery, oregano, parsley, salt, pepper and bay leaves.
Turn on high until the water comes to a boil than reduce heat to low and let simmer  2-3 hours.
After 2-3 hours stir in bouillon cubes.
Turn off and let cool.
Strain the broth into bowl and dice up the onion,carrots,and celery. Take as much chicken off the Caracas as possible and shred it or cut it into strips.
Boil noodles and add noodles,vegetables and chicken to the broth.

Serve with a little sprinkle of parmesan cheese on top and if your cooking for a hungry man add a grilled cheese sandwich on the side and its the perfect winter meal!

IMG_1691-1.jpg


13 comments:

  1. yummm! I started adding parmesan cheese to my soup because of you! :) Such a yummy soup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i thought of you when i posted this! I was like i bet bea would want the recipe!

      Delete
    2. I am definitely going to be making this! & you're so right, I don't want to wait only for cold seasons! I love it all year round!

      Delete
  2. oh my goodness, that looks SO yummy!
    now i'm craving chicken noodle soup... <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so easy to make! let me know if you try it =)

      Delete
  3. this looks amazing! i've been looking for a good and simple chicken noodle soup. thanks so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks absolutely DIVINE. Chicken noodle soup = home/comfort. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think tonight is a soup night...and I love the look of those noodles!

    ReplyDelete
  6. delicious! There is something so comforting about homemade chicken noodle soup. Perfect for cold, january days.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to read all your comments!